Wednesday 3 July 2013

Sergeant At Arms

June 30th 2013, my term as the Sergeant At Arms at Kwanza Kenya Toastmasters Club came to an end. When I committed to it an year back, I had no idea how I was going to pull it through. What with my erratic non-schedules that would at times spiral late into the night depending on the temperament of computers! But I needed to do it as a way of supporting my club. In any case someone had advised that to reap maximum benefit of Toastmasters, when asked to take a role, just say yes then figure out how to do it later.
What no one warned me is that it would be great opportunity to learn and I learned three lessons

Delegation: I learned that most people are ready to help. I have learnt to let go once I ask someone to do something and wait for the result instead of micromanaging the means. I have learned to multiply my hands by using other peoples'.

Criticism: I have learned to take criticism without feeling “where were you to do it mr. perfect”. I have learnt to take responsibility for the result.

Patience: I have learned to be patient with people who mess with communal equipment. But I have also learnt that most people will treat communal facilities kindly if shown how to use them correctly.


Above all I have learnt that 
roses are red violets are blue
never decorate a room
that a lady will use
purple and blue are
not shades of black.

No comments: